Are you a great wordsmith with an eye for detail?
Are you looking to work in a dynamic / fast paced environment with a great team, spread all over the world?
Are you detailed oriented and confident editing articles across a variety of topics?
Can you adhere to strict deadlines and be extremely meticulous to identify and correct small errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar?
Then you could be the copy editor we’re looking for!
This is a volunteer position.
Who We Are
WhoWhatWhy is an independent news organization and community that is making a difference, setting new standards, and innovating on every front. Non-profit, non-partisan and commercial-free, we are powered entirely by public support and the passionate involvement of people who believe in our mission. If you’re able to commit to a growing team of passionate creatives and wish to be part of this ambitious initiative to redefine how the news industry works alongside us, we want to hear from you.
- Minimum two years working as a Copy Editor for a daily publication
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, or a related field
- Ability to remain detailed-oriented and focused when processing large amounts of text
- Willingness to collaborate with a creative team of writers, graphic designers, and others
- Strong computer processing skills, especially G Suite and Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of legal issues involved in publishing, such as libel and plagiarism
- Mastery of spelling, grammar and punctuation errors and ability to make constructive suggestions
- Knowledge of Associated Press and or Chicago styles
- Proficiency working with multiple editors in a continuous deadline environment
- Ensure linguistic correctness
- Effectively fact check dates, names, statistics and citations
- Review readability and clarity in every sentence
- Review for style, and make changes and corrections when necessary to align with editorial requirements
- Confirm sources where required
- Communicate with reporters and editors and manage deadlines effectively
- Work in an exciting, up-and-coming organization in a crucial and societally relevant field
- Interact with people at all levels of society
- Participate in the most dynamic aspect of journalism
- Collaborate with smart, accomplished coworkers
- Have fun and make a difference
We will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions. To apply, send your resume, published clips, and a customized cover letter explaining why you're a good fit for this position. If there is no option to attach a cover letter, please send a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Powered by JazzHR