- Work with & learn from an experienced team to build state-of-the-art, world class data infrastructure that is central to how the business operates — not just a ponderous data warehouse migration, or another dashboard that never gets looked at once the project's over.
- Help the health care industry transition to telehealth and digital-first care.
HotDoc is hiring for a data engineer as we define the modern digital health care experience. Our mission during this transition to digital-first health care is to improve the health care experience for everyone in Australia. This is an opportunity to work for a fast-growing health-tech startup where your actions make a difference to millions of patients and tens of thousands of health care providers across Australia, now and into the future. In this role, you'll build the foundation for data-driven, automated company operations.
What’s in it for you?
High impact business, green field projects, with a fun, diverse team. You’ll get to grow with us, and experience your contribution to the company first hand. You will create products you can be proud of, and that our users love. And we offer a market salary, with startup perks, in a flexible and remote-friendly work environment.
What will you be doing?
The data engineering team at HotDoc builds modern, cloud-first data infrastructure to support product features, business operations automation, and internal & customer-facing metrics & reporting. You'll work with a dedicated team of data engineers, business operations analysts, internal customers, & product engineers to understand business needs, determine what data would support those needs, then design, build, and maintain the pipelines to get it from A to B. You'll have input, autonomy, and support.
Our current stack is based around Stitch, Airflow, BigQuery, and Metabase, with a lot of Python glue. We're right now moving to a new CI/CD-driven pipeline, using dbt to handle our SQL modelling, and Buildkite to test, deploy & execute the transforms on our k8s cluster. But we're a young company, and nothing is set in stone. Whether you think we should move to a serverless Rust backbone that uses Presto to query a Datomic Cloud instance and display it all in a custom d3 + WebGL frontend, or if you think we should just use cron, curl, Postgres and sendmail — we’re all ears.
Who will you be doing it for?
As the preferred vendor of healthcare software solutions, HotDoc is improving the patient experience for over 5 million Australians and counting. HotDoc helps bridge the gap between patient and doctors nationwide, by providing cutting edge technology and an easy, proactive, and accessible means of managing the patient journey from booking to check-in.
Requirements Who can apply?
This permanent ongoing full-time role is based in Melbourne, but is open to remote candidates within 3 hours’ time difference of Melbourne (e.g. Perth to New Zealand) as long as you have a good internet connection and are willing to be flown to Melbourne approximately four times per year for two weeks at a time (pandemic permitting).
What you must have
- 2+ years of experience in Python & SQL, working in a healthy, modern engineering culture
- Experience working with modern data engineering technologies like Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Apache Airflow, or similar
- Experience working directly with stakeholders to determine project requirements at all scales, whether it’s to support a whole-of-business operations process, or a specific statistic to be included in a specific report requested by a customer
- Experience working in remote or distributed teams
Enjoy flexible work arrangements while thriving in an ethically driven company that fosters inclusivity and a collaborative work environment. We are well funded, and the next few years at HotDoc will be an exciting time of rapid growth, with plenty of scope for professional and personal development.
As a flexible workplace, we've adapted pretty well to a COVID world. Joining now, you'll be provided with equipment for your home office, access employee wellness at your keyboard, with in-office subsidised yoga and personal training sessions, and be invited to many Zoom-based events including (but not limited to) Bob Ross inspired painting sessions, sourdough masterclasses, book clubs, and wine tastings.
And, once COVID settles down and we are able to return to the office, you can also enjoy:
- A beautiful, green and light-filled office on the Yarra River in Melbourne’s CBD that boasts the best balcony view in Melbourne.
- A kitchen is full of fresh fruit, snacks, tea and a serious coffee machine. We also have some particularly talented bakers here!
- Our social calendar is pretty full - end-of-year parties, golf and table tennis, competitions, BBQs and a yearly Talent Show. Friday nights on the balcony are also pretty great.
- Newly renovated building makes commuting a breeze with new bike lockup, showers with towel service, and dedicated lockers.